Frequently Asked Questions

What are internally assessed standards?

Internally assessed standards are marked by your Te Kura teachers during the year, and your results updated with NZQA weekly.

Please regularly check your results during the year through your NZQA student login page.

What are externally assessed standards?

Te Kura offers personalised learning so our students are not automatically registered for externally assessed standards.

These are all externally assessed:

End of year exams 7 Nov - 2 Dec 2022

  • NCEA and NZ Scholarship exams are timetabled and assessed by NZQA.
  • As Te Kura is not an an end of year exam venue, you'll need to contact a secondary school for approval to sit end of year exams there.
  • We'll email you after you've submitted your registration to let you know what you need to do.

Digital Technologies Common Assessment Tasks (DCAT) - 27 Oct 2022

  • The final day to register for the DCAT is 25 July.
  • If you wish to register for any other externally assessed standards, you will need to do so at the same time as you register for the DCAT.
  • The DCAT for all levels of Digital Technologies is sat in October at a special Te Kura venue. 
  • If you register for any level of DCAT, we’ll email you further details in early October.

Level 1 Maths Common Assessment Task (MCAT) - 13 Sep 2022

  • The final day to register for the MCAT is 25 July.
  • If you wish to register for any other externally assessed standards, you will need to do so at the same time as you register for the MCAT.
  • The MCAT for external standard 91027 is sat in September at a special Te Kura venue.
  • If you register for the MCAT, we’ll email you further details in early September.
  • If registering for any other MX1000 externally assessed standards, see ‘End of year exams’ above.

Portfolio submissions for:

  • Design and Visual Communication (all levels)
  • Technology (all levels)
  • Visual Arts (all levels)
  • Scholarship Music
  • Scholarship Physical Education

Where do I sit my end of year exams?

Because Te Kura is not an exam centre school, you'll need approval from a secondary school in your local community to sit your end of year exams there.

  • After you've submitted your NCEA registration we will email you instructions to let you know how to arrange approval from your chosen exam centre school.
  • Te Kura must receive online approval from your exam centre school before the deadline to ensure we can officially register your end of year exams.
  • Your chosen exam centre school must offer all the exam sessions you wish to sit as your end of year exams must be sat at the same school.
  • If your chosen school does not offer all your exam sessions, you'll need approval from a different secondary school. Contact us if this happens.

What do I need to get into my end of year exams?

Te Kura students must take their exam admission slip and photo ID to each end of year exam session.

  • Your exam admission slip will be posted to you at the end of October. If this doesn't arrive by the beginning of November, contact our Qualifications team for a signed replacement.

You will need to be at your exam centre school with both your exam admission slip and photo ID at least 20 minutes prior to the start of your exam.

Am I eligible to sit Scholarship exams?

NZ Scholarship standards are designed to extend very high achieving Level 3 students. Please talk with your subject teacher before you register for NZ Scholarship exams.

I was enrolled at another secondary school earlier this year. How does this affect my NCEA registration?

If you were previously enrolled at another secondary school this year, any internally assessed results awarded this year as well as any registered externally assessed standards will have been withdrawn at NZQA.

Externally assessed standards

  • You must re-register with Te Kura by submitting your NCEA registration.

Internally assessed results

  • Te Kura will report this year’s internal results already gained through your previous school to NZQA.

What are Special Assessment Conditions?

If you have a medical, physical, sensory, or specific learning disability, you may be entitled to Special Assessment Conditions (SAC) for NCEA assessments.

All the information is available on our website, or you can contact our SAC Team by emailing

Please immediately contact our SAC Team if you:

  • need SAC but haven’t already been in touch
  • recently transferred from another school where you were already approved for SAC. Your entitlement will need to be transferred from your previous school to Te Kura.
  • need SAC to sit external exams. If you have already advised our SAC Team, there is no need to contact them again but you must provide your SAC details in your online NCEA registration.

Where can I see my results?

Your internally assessed results will be updated weekly on your NZQA student login page. Regularly check your NZQA student login during the year to ensure your internal results and registration for any externally assessed standards are recorded correctly with NZQA.

All this year's results will become available in your Record of Achievement from mid-January next year. This includes any externally assessed results and the award of qualifications.

If you would like a paper copy of an awarded qualification and/or official copy of your Record of Achievement from next January, you will need to order this by clicking 'Order Documents'.

Do practice exams need supervision?

Practice exams must be supervised by a non-family member if you wish to be eligible for derived grade/s.

Hunga ako (Advisories)

Some supervision may be available at local huinga ako. You can check with your Kaimanaaki (Learning Advisor) for availability in your area.

Practice exam supervision form

Click here to complete the Practice Exam Supervision form. If you have any queries about practice exam supervision, please email

Derived grades

Derived grades may be available if just before or during the end of year exam period, you suffer a temporary illness, trauma or event beyond your control.

  • There must be a clear and observable detrimental effect on your performance and/or attendance.
  • Evidence from a registered professional is required to support a derived grade application.
  • An application can be requested from our Qualifications team.

I am a home-school fee paying student. Can I sit exams in subjects if I'm not enrolled in them with Te Kura?

If you are a home-schooled fee-paying student and wish to register for externally assessed standards but you’re not enrolled with us for those subjects, please contact our Qualifications team on 0800 65 99 88 option 3, or email As Te Kura is your school, we are responsible for reporting all your NCEA external entries to NZQA.